Our Special Story
Let’s not forget subtraction!
Updated: Aug 21, 2020
What is it
A structured printable to teach subtraction using cars in carpark lots.
1) Progressive subtraction of small to bigger numbers
Subtract quantities of 1 to 3
Subtract quantities of 4 to 6
Subtract quantities of 7 to 9
2) Blank template to create your own questions
3) Different types of worksheets to practice generalisation
Develop basic quantitative concepts
How to use
Find 10 toy cars or vehicles. Using toy cars will be best for this activity! If not, pictures of cars are provided in the printable, where you can cut them out and paste on cardboard or laminate.
Work on subtracting smaller numbers first (Pg 3-4), before moving onto subtracting bigger numbers (Pg 5-8)
Blank templates (Pg 12) are also provided for you and your child to create your own questions.
Visuals instructions are provided on Pg 2 and Pg 11
1. Read the subtraction equation aloud.
2. Point to the first number and put the correct number of cars in the parking lots.
3. Emphasise that ‘minus’ means ‘take away’.
4. Drive away the corresponding number to subtract.
5. Count how many cars are left in the carpark.
6. Use the numbers provided or have your child write the answer into the box.
Pair the activity with this video to make it even more fun! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wlPwfFqms
Provide repetition for your child to learn from examples.
Encourage your child to be creative and guide him to come up with his own subtraction stories.
You may use this printable for addition too!
Embed more learning opportunities
Expressive language: “What colour is this car?”
Fine motor skills: Child to cut out the cars and numbers
Download your FREE printable here!
-Specially created by Our Special Story-
Our Special Story provides home based 1-on-1 ABA Therapy and school shadowing for children with autism spectrum disorder, speech delay and other special needs.
ABA Therapy can help to improve behaviours, attention, speech and communication, school readiness and social skills.
Book a complimentary consultation and trial therapy session!
#schoolreadinessskills #preschoolactivities #learnwithourspecialstory #ourspecialstory #abatherapy #autism #specialneeds #autismsingapore #specialneedssingapore #learnthroughplay #subtraction #mathskills